Good base running is just for fast girls,
You do not have to possess great speed to be a good base runner. Good base
running comes under the category of paying attention to details. Many games are won and
lost on the base paths. Let's look at some base running responsibilities, those little
things. Speed is nice but not a mandatory talent for effective base running. A good base
runner should know her limitations and should be aggressive within those limits, but she
should exercise good judgement. Base runners should know the game situation and what their
run represents. They should not be satisfied with one base and should always THINK a base
A base runner should be aware while she is on base, of game-related details:
- How many outs?
- Is there a runner ahead of me?
- Where are the outfielders?
- Where are the infielders?
- What is the score?
- Is the infield dirt hard or soft?
- Does the pitcher have a tendency to throw her drop in the dirt?
- Does this team use special or trick defensive plays?
- Did the coach give me a sign?
- Does their catcher have a good arm and is she accurate?
Practice your leads, sliding, rounding bases, taking the extra base, hit and runs,
stealing, 2 out leads, breaking up a double play and diving back to bases. Don't
underestimate the importance of good base running.